As the 3Com phone system reached end-of-support status, the customer decided to reduce its communications costs by switching to a web-based, open source VoIP solution—Asterisk FreePBX. With approximately 100 software and desk phones to connect, the customer first attempted to install the solution using internal resources but quickly discovered Asterisk FreeBx deployments require a specialized set of skills.
Through online searches, the customer discovered Asterisk FreePBX experts are rare but found one outsource IT partner that could help: Pantek. In addition to providing the necessary technical expertise, Pantek adapted its approach to help the customer limit the cost of the engagement. Pantek agreed to configure the system for direct inward dialing, connect 15 of the phones, and then train personnel on how to connect the remaining 85 phones. Pantek also provided post-project support to troubleshoot any issues the customer ran into while setting up the remaining phones.
- Reviewed installation of Asterisk FreePBX previously started by the customer
- Installed firmware and downloaded phone configuration files
- Configured SIP settings and registered the PBX
- Set up static IP addresses, DNS, email settings, and inbound/outbound routes
- Created extensions and template for phones to map to extensions
- Configured dial plan programming
- Tested back-ups
- Asterisk FreePBX
- EndPoint Manager